Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tone Color, Part 2, FBSMC 2

More from week 5





In the video I speak of connecting to a character and then all the overlays come together. Then I further go on to say that if it doesn't come together then I go on a search to find the technique and whatever it takes to make it happen. That is true, but I also go on a quest to find out if I am actually connecting to the character or whether I myself am not in a location for the character to flow into me. If I am too offset to where the character or essence lives, then the connection will not be full or really happen at a deep level where the character would reveal more of it's self to me.

This is the real essence of the journey. Connection does not just happen with a few techniques or casual knowledge. It will only happen if there is an alignment of a sympathetic resonance between yourself and what you are trying to connect to. Think about having a relationship with someone. They are not always going to reveal their deepest feelings to you if there is not a trust and mutual understanding of some kind between the both of you.

If you are so glued to having your one sound, tone color contrast will not make its way into your playing because there will be no opening in you for it to do so. If you do on the other hand have a real need in yourself to express something beyond pretty notes on a page, then you will feel the urgent drive to find a way to do it. To quote a great phrase from one of my life teachers, "If you can't find it, make it."

No comments: