Friday, November 9, 2012

Recalling My Times with John Swallow, Part 6


In this final video, Part 6, "Recalling My Times with John Swallow," I talk about how supportive John was with my musical endeavors. Whether I was playing in the Empire Brass Quintet or composing, he always would have an encouraging tone.

I want to also mention that in 1976, I got to play in a recording with John on the first Empire Brass Quintet recording called, The American  Brass Band Journal, Empire Brass Quintet and Friends. It is on the Columbia label and was recorded in New York City. John played euphonium on that recording. It was so much fun to sit next to him and play. That really was my only 'professional' time playing with John. 

I am also writing a piece honoring John for trombone choir. This will be premiered on the New England Conservatory's annual Brass Bash which will be dedicated to John. February 24th is the date of the concert. I mention this on the video and speak briefly about the process in composing this piece. Maybe one day I will write more about the process.

Thanks John for everything. You will always be in my heart. Happy journeys to you!

Part 6



No comments: